Thursday, December 28, 2017

When worlds entwine - Grandpa Ludy and Grandfather Henri

For a very long time I have been playing with the idea of simultaneously posting an article in my two genealogy blogs. I mean related articles, that are kind of a mirror from each other from different worlds. It has taken me a long time though, to figure out which persons these mirror articles should be revolving around. I do recall I mentioned before I would be posting a blog article relating to my paternal grandfather Ludy Van Minnebruggen. While I have already posted about certain aspects of the life of my maternal grandfather, Henri Brusten, I still feel there's more to say about him and that's why I decided it should be my two late grandfathers that I would be including in my two mirror posts.

This post relates to grandpa Ludy Van Minnebruggen, while the mirror post relating to grandfather Henri can be reached by clicking this link.

Grandpa Ludy was born on October 29, 1929 in the village of Mortsel to Philomena Van Noort and Constant Van Minnebruggen. That particular day is known in history as "Black Tuesday", which was one of the days on which the crash of Wall Street unfolded, marking the beginning of the Great Depression. His older sister, Jeanne, had just had her 8th birthday a week earlier and it wasn't until 1933 that also a younger brother, Hendrik, was born.

Ludy Van Minnebruggen about 1930

One of the most striking events in the history of the village of Mortsel was without a doubt the bombing of that village by the American Army on April 5, 1943. The goal was actually to bomb the Erla factory which was used by the German military. On this tragic day, Grandpa Ludy was thirteen years old. My great-uncle Hendrik, who was ten at that time, told me about that day. It was after three in the afternoon and he and my grandfather were in their school, in Mortsel. As the bombings started, the children were instructed to find shelter underneath their school desks. "I was sitting in the older building which didn't have a basement, so there was no other option than to hide underneath our desks. After the first wave of planes had passed, many people started to run, but then there came a second wave of planes dropping more bombs and because so many people were running around, that second wave resulted in much more casualties. Only after the bombings stopped, we were brought to the newer building where we had to stay in the basement until our parents came to pick us up".

Grandpa Ludy in School Year 1942-1943

The school of grandpa Ludy and great-uncle Hendrik was not hit, but several other nearby schools were hit, resulting in many casualties amongst the children of Mortsel. "Several bombs had fallen in an open field next to our school, but none of them exploded. My father was out working, at the time of the bombings. As he came over from work to us, he had to cross the part of the village that had suffered most severely from the bombings. He saw many casualties lying on the streets. For a long time, he was very shocked about everything he had seen out there".

While thirteen year old grandpa Ludy was hiding in school, my other grandfather Henri, who was sixteen years old,  was also in Mortsel as he was working in the Erla factory, which was the actual target of the air strike. And he did get seriously wounded.

Left to right: Hendrik, Jeanne and Ludy (date: May 30th, 1943)

While most of Belgium was liberated from nazi occupation in September 1944, bombings with V-bombs continued until the beginning of April 1945. Probably one of the closest encounters the family had with V-bombs was on March 8, 1945, when a V1 bomb hit the Sint-Jozef Hospital, which was in the same street as where the family lived. The result was absolutely devastating as the hospital was completely demolished. Thirty one people died in the blast and another sixty five were wounded.

Also about those times, great-uncle Hendrik was able to tell me more. "The school had arranged that we could stay in a safer part of the country. First we stayed in the city of Roesselare and later in the village of Izegem. In the meanwhile, our parents and older sister were living in the basement of our house, since it was the only place they could find some shelter. You never knew when a V-bomb was coming, so the basement had been arranged as a living space. Our father also died in that basement. He had become very sick and died". At that time, Grandpa Ludy was 16 years old. His father, Constant, died on March 12, 1945, which was just six days after the V-bomb had fallen on the hospital. This also means great-grandpa Constant didn't live to see the end of the war. Great-uncle Hendrik added: "He died while me and your grandfather were in Izegem. We didn't know anything about it and didn't even attend the funeral. All in all we didn't stay in Izegem very long, because I was very homesick and cried a lot. I also had difficulties understanding the local dialect people spoke there".

The reason why great-grandfather Constant passed away had nothing to do with the bombings. To make some additional money, he used to make safes. These safes contained asbestos sheets to withstand fire. Those sheets had to be cut to size, which resulted in a lot of dust. Great-grandpa Constant inhalded this asbestos dust for years, which is believed to have been the reason of him ending up with lung cancer and resulting in his early death.

Ludy and Sophia on their wedding day in 1949

On May 28, 1949, a few years after WWII, Grandpa Ludy got married, before his twentieth birthday, to Grandma Sophia Servaes in the village of Hingene. Ludy worked for many years as a factory worker in the factory of Agfa Gevaert in his birth village Mortsel.

Ludy Van Minnebruggen

Ludy and Sophia had seven children together and eventually a long list of grandchildren as well. Grandpa was very musical and mastered playing accordion, piano, xylophone and melodeon. He could play entire songs after having heard them only twice. In a time before television, people from the neighbourhood would come over to listen to Grandpa playing his music. Not only did Grandpa have musical talents, but he could also make beautiful drawings.

Grandpa Ludy playing his melodeon (probably early 1950's)

While Grandpa Ludy very often had a very serious look on his face, he did enjoy to make jokes. I remember, as a little child, I was a bit afraid to ask something because of his very serious face. While at one instance I had gathered all my courage to ask if I could go get a soccer ball to play outside, all of the sudden he yelled: "No!". It scared me so much I litterally jumped up. Satisfied with the result, Grandpa started to laugh and said: "yes, yes, you can get it". It was the first time I realized Grandpa in fact liked to make jokes like that and he would always enjoy the reactions he got.

It was only later in life Grandpa and Grandma really started to travel a long distance for vacation, like going to the Canary Islands, which they really liked.

Grandpa Ludy passed away, on January 4th, 2006 at the age of 76. He had been married to grandmother Sophia for 56 years...

Me and grandpa Ludy in 1993
Only on very few occasions have I ever seen my two grandfathers together. To me, it felt then as if two different worlds came together. Grandpa Ludy was usually quite talkative, while grandfather Henri always seemed so quiet. Only after they both passed away, did I learn about the points in time, where their worlds had been entwined, long before my parents got married, in a horrible time, when bombs came down like rain.

Sitting here, writing all this down, I do remember particularly, the same things about the both of them now. How they would joke and smile. And enjoy small things in life, like a glass of beer or a beautiful song. And each time that little spark of joy would light up in their eyes. Looking satisfied and amused.

Grandpa Ludy


*        *

Gedurende enige tijd speel ik met de gedachte om gelijktijdig een bericht in mijn twee stamboomblogs te publiceren. Ik bedoel gerelateerde berichten die een soort van spiegelbeeld zijn van elkander uit verschillende werelden. Het heeft lang geduurd voor ik beslist had over welke personen deze spiegelberichten zouden kunnen gaan. Ik herinner me dat ik eerder heb gezegd dat ik nog een blogbericht zou schrijven over mijn grootvader aan vaders kant, Ludy Van Minnebruggen. Hoewel ik reeds over bepaalde aspecten uit het leven van mijn andere grootvader, Henri Brusten, heb geschreven, heb ik nog het gevoel dat ik nog meer te vertellen heb en daarom heb ik beslist dat mijn twee grootvaders de personen zouden moeten zijn waarover ik in deze spiegelberichten schrijf.

Dit blogbericht gaat over grootvader Ludy Van Minnebruggen, terwijl het andere bericht over grootvader Henri kan worden bereikt door op deze link te klikken.

Grootvader Ludy werd geboren op 29 oktober 1929 in het dorp Mortsel als tweede kind van Philomena Van Noort en Constant Van Minnebruggen. Die specifieke dag staat in de geschiedenisboeken als "Zwarte Dinsdag", een dag waarop de Beurscrash van Wall Street zich ontplooide, dewelke aan de oorsprong lag van de grote economische depressie van de jaren dertig. Zijn grote zus, Jeanne, had ongeveer een week eerder haar achtste verjaardag gehad en het was pas in 1933 dat er ook een jongere broer, Hendrik, werd geboren.

Ludy Van Minnebruggen omstreeks 1930

Een van de belangrijkste gebeurtenissen in de geschiedenis van Mortsel was zonder enige twijfel het bombardement op dat dorp door de Amerikaanse luchtmacht op 5 april 1943. Het doel was in feite om de Erla fabriek te bombarderen die door het Duits leger werd gebruikt. Op deze tragische dag was grootvader Ludy dertien jaar oud. Mijn grootnonkel Hendrik, die toen tien was, vertelde me over die dag. Het was na drie uur 's namiddags en hij en mijn grootvader waren in hun school, in Mortsel. Toen het bombardement startte, werd aan de kinderen gezegd dat ze onder hun schoolbank moesten schuilen. "Ik zat in het oudere gebouw dat geen kelder had, dus de enige optie was om onder onze bank te schuilen. Na de eerste aanvalsgolf begonnen er veel mensen in paniek rond te lopen op straat, maar dan kwam er een tweede golf en omdat er zo veel mensen rondliepen zijn er toen veel meer slachtoffers gevallen. Pas nadat het bombardement voorbij was werden we naar het nieuwere gebouw gebracht waar we in de kelder moesten blijven tot onze ouders ons kwamen ophalen".

Grootvader Ludy in schooljaar 1942-1943

De school van grootvader Ludy en grootnonkel Hendrik werd niet geraakt, maar verscheidene andere nabije scholen wel, wat resulteerde in een groot aantal slachtoffers onder de kinderen van Mortsel. "Er waren verschillende bommen gevallen in een veld naast onze school, maar er was er geen enkele ontploft. Mijn vader was gaan werken op het ogenblik van het bombardement. Toen hij terug kwam van zijn werk moest hij door het gedeelte van het dorp dat het zwaarst had geleden onder het bombardement. Hij zag al die lichamen op de straten liggen. Hij is heel lang gechoqueerd geweest van alles wat hij toen heeft gezien".

Terwijl dertienjarige grootvader Ludy was aan het schuilen op school, was mijn andere grootvader, Henri, die toen zestien jaar oud was, ook in Mortsel vermits hij in de Erla fabriek werkte, die het eigenlijke doel was van de luchtaanval. En hij werd ernstig gewond.

Van links naar rechts: Hendrik, Jeanne en Ludy
(datum: 30 mei 1943)

Terwijl Belgiƫ grotendeels bevrijd was in september 1944, bleven bombardementen met V-bommen duren tot begin april 1945. De voor de familie meest nabije inslag van een V-bom gebeurde waarschijnlijk op 8 maart 1945, toen een V1 op het Sint-Jozef ziekenhuis viel, dat zich in dezelfde straat bevond als waar de familie woonde. Het resultaat was verschrikkelijk vermits het ziekenhuis volledig werd vernietigd. Eenendertig mensen overleefden de ontploffing niet en nog eens vijfenzestig anderen werden gewond.

Ook over deze tijd kon grootnonkel Hendrik me nog dingen vertellen. "Onze school had ervoor gezorgd dat we konden vluchten, eerst naar Roesselare en later naar Izegem. Ondertussen woonden onze ouders en onze oudere zus in de kelder van onze woning, omdat dat de enige plaats was waar ze konden schuilen. Je wist nooit wanneer er een V-bom ging komen, daarom werd de kelder ingericht als woonruimte. Onze vader overleed ook in die kelder. Hij was erg ziek geworden en stierf". Op dat ogenblik was grootvader Ludy 16 jaar oud. Zijn vader, Constant, overleed op 12 maart 1945, zes dagen nadat die V-bom op het ziekenhuis was gevallen. Dit betekent ook dat overgrootvader Constant niet meer het einde van de oorlog heeft meegemaakt. Grootnonkel Hendrik voegde toe: "Hij overleed terwijl ik en jouw grootvader in Izegem waren. Wij wisten van niets en waren zelfs niet op de begrafenis. Alles bij elkaar zijn wij niet zo lang in Izegem gebleven omdat ik erg veel heimwee had en constant huilde. Ik had ook moeilijkheden om het West-Vlaamse dialect te verstaan".

De reden waarom overgrootvader Constant overleed had niets te maken met de bombardementen. Om wat geld bij te verdienen, maakte hij brandkasten. Die brandkasten bevatten asbest platen tegen vuur. Die platen moesten op maat worden gesneden, wat resulteerde in veel stof. Overgrootvader Constant ademde dat asbest stof in gedurende jaren. Er wordt aangenomen dat hij daardoor longkanker ontwikkelde, wat uiteindelijk resulteerde in zijn vroegtijdig overlijden.

Ludy en Sophia op hun trouwdag 1949

Op 28 mei 1949, een paar jaren na de Tweede Wereldoorlog, huwde grootvader Ludy met grootmoeder Sophia Servaes in het dorp Hingene. Ludy werkte gedurende vele jaren als een arbeider in de fabriek van Agfa Gevaert in zijn geboortedorp Mortsel.

Ludy Van Minnebruggen

Ludy en Sophia kregen zeven kinderen en uiteindelijk ook een lange lijst kleinkinderen. Grootvader was bijzonder muzikaal aangelegd en kon accordeon, piano, xylofoon en trekharmonica bespelen. Hij speelde muziekstukken na die hij maar twee keer had gehoord. En in de periode voor de televisie kwamen mensen uit de buurt luisteren naar de muziek die hij speelde. Grootvader was niet enkel erg muzikaal aangelegd, maar hij kon ook prachtig tekenen.

Grootvader Ludy met zijn trekharmonica (waarschijnlijk begin de jaren '50)

Terwijl grootvader Ludy dikwlijls een erg ernstige blik had op zijn gezicht, maakte hij graag grapjes. Ik herinner me, dat ik als kind soms wat bang was om iets te vragen aan grootvader omwille van zijn ernstige blik. Toen ik op een dag al mijn moed had verzameld om te vragen of ik een bal mocht nemen om buiten te spelen, riep hij plots: "Nee!". Ik verschoot zo erg dat ik opsprong. Zichtbaar tevreden met het resultaat, begon grootvader vervolgens te lachen en zei: "Ja, ja, ga die maar halen". Het was de eerste keer dat ik me realiseerde dat grootvader in feite graag zulke grapjes maakte en dat hij steeds genoot van de reacties die hij kreeg.

Het was pas later in zijn leven dat grootvader en grootmoeder zijn beginnen wat verdere reizen te maken, bijvoorbeeld naar de Canarische eilanden.

Grootvader Ludy overleed op 4 januari 2006 op de leeftijd van 76. Hij was gedurende 56 jaren gehuwd geweest met grootmoeder Sophia...

Ik en grootvader Ludy in 1993
Slechts op enkele gelegenheden heb ik mijn beide grootvaders samen gezien. Voor mij voelde dat dan alsof twee verschillende werelden samenkwamen. Grootvader Ludy was gewoonlijk nogal spraakzaam, terwijl grootvader Henri altijd vrij stil was. Pas nadat ze beiden waren overleden  leerde ik over de ogenblikken in hun leven waarin hun levens waren vervlochten, lang voordat mijn ouders trouwden. In een verschrikkelijke tijd, wanneer bommen als regen uit de lucht vielen.

Terwijl ik hier zit te schrijven herinner ik me vooral hetzelfde over hen beiden. Hoe ze grapjes maakten en lachten. Hoe ze genoten van kleine dingen zoals een glas bier of een mooi lied. En elke keer die vreugdevolle schittering in hun ogen. Zichtbaar tevreden en geamuseerd...

Grootvader Ludy

1 comment:

  1. Ewan, leuk om te ervaren hoe jij stukjes van de familiegeschiedenis verzameld en mooi en zo correct mogelijk tracht vast te leggen. Het is goed opgemerkt dat gedeeltes van het leven van onze vaders zo parrallel liepen. Mijn pa kende ik zeer goed maar ook de omschrijvingen van mijn schoonvader heb je prachtig verwoord en zoals je schrijft was een grap en de twinkelingen in hun ogen niet ver weg als ze samen aan het vertellen gingen.
    Dank want hoewel je de moeilijke periodes in hun leven aanhaalt heb ik toch een goed gevoel en zie ik twee toffe mensen in je blog.
    Dank. Paps xx